RENOVATION BLOG 2018

2018 EASTER BREAK PROJECT

2018 EARLY JULY

One of the first things on the list during the summer holidays was to erect a wall between the upstairs hall and my new office. There was still a big gap on the east side, but that required installation of the final supporting floor beam.

There will eventually be a smooth ceiling with spotlights in the hall. I have decided to leave the old ceiling beams exposed in my office though as they appear to be in pretty good condition.

2018 MID JULY

After getting a much needed wall and floor in the new upstairs hall, it was time to install that last floor beam. Due to the position of the kitchen chimney, the beam would have to be partially anchored in a somewhat dodgy wall. And so it began.

This is going to take some time...

2018 LATE JULY

2018 AUGUST

After picking up a few more sacks of Finja mortar mix from Hornbach, it was time to finalize the rough mortar surfacing on the southern kitchen wall. The wooden formwork around the window worked out more or less as planned and I was pretty pleased with the result. The power outlets are not visible now, but I know where they are.

Just one more layer. Renovation Picture 1 OK, one more after that. Finally smooth. Renovation Picture 2

OK, so this is a good place to pause before tackling the western kitchen wall. It should not need as much reparation as it is made completely of properly fired bricks. And at least part of it is grounded on a solid foundation as it was mostly built after the 1929 fire. But I will only know for sure once I rip up the floor and dig a little!

A bit of excavation later. Renovation Picture 3 And a whole lot of concrete. Renovation Picture 4

2018 SEPTEMBER

Finally getting into the northern wall where the kitchen sink will sit. I will have to dig deep to remove and replace the old iron pipes that are in place and connect to the new drains outside.

2018 OCTOBER

A bit too much to do at school to get much renovation done...

2018 NOVEMBER

With child number two on the way we needed to prepare a bedroom for child number one. So we put the kitchen on the back burner and got some help with the "relatively" simple renovation of a new bedroom.

It was actually worse than it looks. Renovation Picture 1 Even with the old radiator removed. Renovation Picture 2

I had previously replaced the radiator and the window was new, but the room was depressing. The ceiling was cracked, the wallpaper loose, the electricals were shot and the carpet had seen its best years in the 60's. Luckily we knew just the guy to fix it up!

2018 DECEMBER